Creamy Chicken Pie
A twist on a classic chicken pie. Adding the sweet potato topping makes this a really delicious comfort food, particularly in the winter months.
Time: 10 minutes prep time + 45 minutes cook time
Serves: 4 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 600g skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 2 large leeks, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 400ml hot chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 200ml double cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 800g sweet potatoes, drained
- 2 tsp lemon thyme or thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken pieces for 5 minutes until browned all over.
- Remove from the pan leaving as much oil as possible in the pan.
- Add the leeks and cook for 5 minutes until softened, stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Return the chicken and any juice to the pan with the stock and bay leaf bring up to the boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes to reduce the liquid a little. Remove from the heat, stir in the cream with the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide between 4 pie dishes.
- Preheat the oven to fan 180C/200C/gas mark 6.
- Mash the potatoes with the thyme and some salt and pepper and top the pies, running a fork over the top to fluff up the mash.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and just crispy on top.